The Telecommunications, Radiocommunications and Broadcasting Regulator (TRBR) is again pleased to present its second Telecommunications Sector Report, reporting on the, state of the telecommunications and ICT market, trends and developments in Vanuatu in 2017. The Sector Report is primarily aimed at TRBR’s stakeholders; Government, Industry, Consumer, Aid Donors and more generally, the people of Vanuatu.
The Vanuatu telecommunications sector has witnessed significant change over the 2017 year. This has come about via the implementation of the Governments Universal Access Policy extending services to over 98% of the population, the increase in availability of 3G and 4G+ leading to the availability of access to data services and continued review of wholesale pricing leading to data promotions that have increased value. Some key highlights from the Sector report are;
- Total market revenue increased by 20% to exceed VUV5.3billion
- Mobile subscription grew by 4% in 2017
- Mobile penetration increase to 82%
- Mobile data subscription grew by 24%
- Mobile data downloads increased by 143% to 663 terabytes in 2017
- Mobile voice revenue and SMS volumes continued to decline in line with substitution by Over The Top Services (OTT)